NAN former Editor-in-Chief seeks 7.5 million naira to treat kidney transplant
By David Oladimeji
A former Editor-In-Chief of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Mr Peter Idonije Obakhedo, has been diagnosed as a stage 5 patient of chronic kidney disease, secondary to diabetic nephropathy.
According to a statement issued today and signed by the Lagos Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) Mr Leye Ajayi and the Secretary, Mr Tunde Olalere, following series of medical tests, the NAN retiree is left with no choice than to undergo kidney transplant for him to live a normal life.
The statement reads: “Sadly, the ailment has eaten deep into the financial base of the Obakhedo’s family, running into millions of naira, as the renowned journalist had been battling with the health crisis for some time.
“Obakhedo needs seven million and five hundred thousand naira (N7.500, 000.00) for kidney transplant surgery if he must live.
“According to Dr. Theophilus Umeizudike, a Consultant, Transplant Physician/Nephrologist at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), he will be needing the Seven million and five hundred thousand naira(7.500,000.00) alone for the Kidney Transplant Surgery. Kindly see the financial breakdown below.
1. Drugs – Four million naira (N4, 000,000)
2. Theatre – five hundred thousand naira (N500, 000)
3. ICU – five hundred thousand naira (N500, 000)
4. Ward Admission for Recipient – Thirty-eight thousand naira (N38, 000)
5. Ward Admission – Twleve thousand naira (N12, 000)
6. Anesthetic Drugs – One hundred and fifty thousand naira (N150, 000)
7. Work up Investigations – One million and five hundred thousand naira (N1, 500,000)
8. Miscellaneous – Three hundred thousand naira (N300, 000)
9. Surgeon Fee – Five hundred thousand naira (N500, 000)
10. Total – Seven Million naira only (N7, 500,000)
“The 60-year old has been going through dialysis twice weekly since May 2020 and can no longer afford the cost, being a retiree.
“Against this backdrop, the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Lagos State Council calls on well-meaning Nigerians both at home and abroad, corporate organisations and philanthropists to come to the aid of the former NAN boss, Mr Peter
Idonije Obakhedo, by donating some funds for the surgery Obakhedo will go through.
“It is our prayer that God in His infinite mercy will heal Obakhedo.(Amen)
Kindly note that all donations should be sent to his wife’s account.
Account Name: Catherine Obakhedo
Access Bank Nigeria Plc,
Account Number: 0065444380
Tel: (234)8028929240 or (234)9053895217.